Forum: Bug Reports

This forum is closed for new topics. However, you can still search for a solution in the old topics. For technical support and general questions related to GEO my WP plugin and its core add-ons please use the support forum.

[Resolved]Category drop down not selectable on search form

Forums Bug Reports Category drop down not selectable on search form

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #51626
    zbrustudios
    Member

    Recently, the category drop down has stopped working. I can select a tag drop down, and when I submit the search form it limits the results to the the appropriately tagged posts, and the tag drop-down box shows the selected tag, but the category drop down still shows the “All Categories” label, and the results have not been filtered.

    I am using a function to modify how the category taxonomy is displayed, but that hasn’t changed since before the issue started, and I’ve tried deleting it with no resolution. This is it, though:

    Thank you in advance for any help you can guide me with!

    I’ve been using your awesome plugin for a couple of years, so thank you for all of your work!

    Private Content Hidden
    #51639
    zbrustudios
    Member

    An edit to my post above: When I delete the function that modifies how the category taxonomy is displayed, the form works, and the results page has the correct option selected in the drop-down box.

    I should also say that the URL contains the correct parameters in both instances (“&cat=23&tax_post_tag=31”) but the correct option is not selected on the results page category drop-down when I have the above function in my functions.php file.

    Private Content Hidden
    #51642

    Hi,
    Looks like the category name tag changes from tax_cat to cat ( in URL ). I am not sure why but looks like your code above is missing. It should return $args and close the function.

    Please verify that and post the script again ( wrap it within PRE tags ). As well as the add_filter part of the function.

    Thanks,

    #51656
    zbrustudios
    Member

    Yes! I hadn’t noticed that, but when I add the code, the URL has “&cat” instead of “&tax_category”. Any hints on where I could start looking?

    Here’s the full function (sorry – I think I miss-copied before):

    #51715
    zbrustudios
    Member

    I’ve found the solution! Turns out the ‘name’ argument must be set in the gmw_modify_taxonomy function to override wp_dropdown_categories default ‘name’ of ‘cat.’ I also had to add in a $_GET variable to have the correct category selected after the form was submitted. Not sure why that part wasn’t working, but I’m guessing it ties into the same.

    Thank you for pointing me in the right direction by noticing the URL change. Wouldn’t have found it without you!

    Here’s my working function:

    #51716

    Thanks for the code.

    Please change:

    with

    The way you do it you override all the arguments ( $args ) set by the plugin where in my solution you only override the specific arguments that you actually want to change.

    let me know if that helps.

    #51717

    Ah! funny we both replied at the same time.

    #51719
    zbrustudios
    Member

    That does it! Silly php mistake to make. Need to go back and brush up on the basics.

    Thanks again for all your help!

    #51720

    And yes, the “name” attribute is being replaced together with the rest of the arguments.

    #51721

    You are very welcome. I am glad I could help.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.