August 16, 2015 at 1:45 am #42490
Hello and greetings from Melbourne, Australia
I am building an app using WordPress and then will be converting using AppPresser. At the moment, I ma viewing on a browser as an existing WordPress site. I have chosen to incorporate your plug-in and have also purchased the Nearby Posts add-in. I am having a number of issues that I would like your assistance with, please:
Private Content HiddenAugust 19, 2015 at 3:20 am #42684
- When the post location is right on the fringe of a particular zoom level, it appears to default to the more detailed zoom, meaning that the post location doesn’t always appear on the map. I will put examples in the private section of the ticket.
- I cannot get the “Nearby Posts” functionality to work. I have used the shortcode [gmw_nearby_posts post_types=”posts” nearby=”user” radius=”10″ posts_count=”20″ units=”metric” sortby=”distance” featured_image=”0″ show_random=”0″ get_directions=”get Directions”] on its own Results page but it comes back and tells me that there are no results for me. With the exception of two or three posts, all are with the 10km radius which I believe is the parameter in this short code.
- Under each post map, the distance is shown as, for example, 0.58 mi. This only appears on my web browser. On a mobile device, this doesn’t show. How can I switch that off for browsers too.
- Finally, I would like to know how I can build a button on the site to allow a visitor to click to update their current location. Can a button built that they can tap to refresh their current location?
Update on points above:
- It appears that the issue may have corrected itself. Now seem to be able to see the post location and the current location on the same map every time.
- I have abandoned the “nearby posts” functionality for now and have resorted to a search form. My primary question now is this – can I use parameters to limit the results to say the five closest – at the moment, I am getting around 50 responses to my queries.
- This is still showing and I would like to be able to turn it iff
- This is still an issue – the widget functionality is well and good but I am not using a sidebar or any other widget area (screen real estate is limited).
Look forward to hearing from you soon.
NeilSeptember 27, 2015 at 4:33 pm #45485
I apologize for missing out your post.
Do you still need help with any of the above?September 28, 2015 at 12:55 am #45518
Yes, I am still interested in your thoughts on these issues.
- Appears to have fixed itself, so no further assistance required.
- Still getting nothing unfortunately. I want to use your plug-in in an app that was created using Apppresser. I thought the lack of results it might be to do with the app structure but not so – even on normal browsing, it is showing no results.
- When I look at an individual post, it includes a map (as expected) and, when viewed on the mobile device, the distance shown in miles. Firstly, I think that have the settings to be in kilometres instead of miles (preference is km) and secondly, I don’t really want the distance there under the map anyway. On a desktop browser, the distance is not shown. Not sure why that is.
- I know that there is a widget that allows people to relocate themselves but I am not using a widget area. I would just like a button that I can put on a page and allow users to re-establish their actual location. Is it possible to have this as a button on a page rather than a widget?
Thank you for your assistance. Unfortunately, if these items cannot be resolved, I will have to abandon my app / web site, which would be disappointing.
(from Geelong Coffee)September 29, 2015 at 6:21 am #45605inspiremeMember
I had a similar problem, it works if i move the nearby posts widget below my other sidebar widgets, I had a few custom made blocks of code that appeared on my sidebar, which i now include before the nearbyposts and it works fine, before i did this it broke my other sidebar widgets and came back with “no results found” – worth just moving it down a bit and seeing what happens?
You can see how i have it setup here
Support here was great, they troubleshooted which file caused the issue for me, so dont give up yet its a great addon – and its still in beta, so bugs are going to be found.September 29, 2015 at 7:16 pm #45666
Thanks for the feedback @inspireme.
Appears to have fixed itself, so no further assistance required.
When I look at an individual post, it includes a map (as expected) and, when viewed on the mobile device, the distance shown in miles. Firstly, I think that have the settings to be in kilometres instead of miles (preference is km) and secondly, I don’t really want the distance there under the map anyway. On a desktop browser, the distance is not shown. Not sure why that is.
How did you make the map appear in the single post? Using a shortcode? if so can you please paste the shortcode that used in here so I could take a look.
Also, it is possible to choose between miles and kilometers throughout all the forms and shortcodes of GEO my WP.
If you are not already using the Single Location add-on then I suggest you to activate it
( core, free add-on ) and take a look at this page for the detailed shortcode/widget usage.
I know that there is a widget that allows people to relocate themselves but I am not using a widget area. I would just like a button that I can put on a page and allow users to re-establish their actual location. Is it possible to have this as a button on a page rather than a widget?
There is a shortcode you can use. Please activate the Current Location add-on ( also a core, free add-on ) and refer to this page for the shortcode usage description.
Still getting nothing unfortunately. I want to use your plug-in in an app that was created using Apppresser. I thought the lack of results it might be to do with the app structure but not so – even on normal browsing, it is showing no results.
Please download the new beta version 1.1-beta from Your Account page and manually install it on your site. Make sure to deactivate the current version of the add-on before activating the beta to prevent conflicts.
Please refer to this page for the docs of the new version of Nearby Locations.
Let me know if that works for you.
Also, it would be helpful if you’d provide me with links to the live pages of GEO my WP maps and shortcodes. It might be able to see something that causes the issue.
It could also be a conflict with other plugins/shortcode as @inspireme suggested.October 2, 2015 at 3:25 pm #45820
Thanks so much @eyal and @inspireme.
I am about to change the domain name and hosting service for my web site / app. I will have to reinstall, etc and so will take your feedback on when I do that. I will report back at that time. It should be during the next few days.
Thanks so much for your help so far
NeilOctober 3, 2015 at 1:31 am #45839
OK, so I have now moved the hosting and re-installed GeoMyWP. I have not activated Apppresser at this point so that it’s basically GeoMyWP operating with WP and my chosen theme.
Regarding the issues above …
- The question of zoom levels being wrong when the location is right on the fringe of the map seems to have fixed itself. All good for now.
- The Nearby Results page has now started working! Hooray!
- The location refresh function is also working. I struggled at first – I didn’t realise that the arrow icon on the location_form auto-locates and the search icon only works when you enter an address. Now that I have that worked out, I’m good with that.
So all in all, I think we can close this issue for now. I think a combination of a new version (albeit beta), better understanding, the removal of another plugin, etc fixed the problem. I will get everything working the way I want it to work and will then look at the Apppresser functionality.
I really appreciate your support and advice and that of @inspireme as well.
Cheers!October 3, 2015 at 1:25 pm #45853
I am glad you got everything working now and that you didn’t have to give up on the project :).
The location refresh function is also working. I struggled at first – I didn’t realise that the arrow icon on the location_form auto-locates and the search icon only works when you enter an address.
I am not sure how but I will look into simplifying this feature to make it easier to understand.
I am marking this topic resolved.
IF you have any more questions/issue please open a new topic as resolved topics always show at the bottom an I many times miss new replies on resolved topics.
Regards,October 3, 2015 at 11:43 pm #45865
Sorry, Eyal – one last question on this.
In relation to the units that are listed below the maps – I have now resolved the issue I had and now I just need to go back and update some short codes on each of the posts. All good.
If you look at the screen image I have attached, you’ll see two lines:
– the first line says distance and the correct distance
– what is the second line – the zero or circle, followed by N/A. Every page has the same line on it. Any ideas?
We’re getting close now!
NeilOctober 5, 2015 at 9:16 am #45909
That’s because you set additional_info=”0″. To hide the additional information you need to exclude it from the elements attribute ( see this page for docs ).October 5, 2015 at 8:07 pm #45938
Hi again, Eyal.
Please see attached screen shot. I have removed the additional_info=”0″ from the page code and now I am getting all headings – address, fax, phone, email, website.
The shortcake I am now using is:
[gmw_single_location map=”1″ units=”k” map_type=”ROADMAP” map_width=”100%” map_height=”450px” directions=”0″]
NeilOctober 5, 2015 at 8:08 pm #45939
Sorry, I didn’t attach the screen shot.October 6, 2015 at 10:51 am #46025
I was referring to the elements attributes ( [gmw_single_location elements=””].
Look for the attribute description in the docs page I mentioned above to see how it works.October 7, 2015 at 9:47 pm #46110
We’ve done it! Thanks so much Eyal. We can now close this issue of as resolved!
I now just need to retro-fix all of the posts on my existing posts – with another hour of effort, I think we’ll be exactly what I wanted.
I have provided an appropriate review on your feedback page in WP.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.